Meet Dr. Nachbar
Dr. Nachbar is an experienced double-board-certified plastic surgeon, certified by both the American Board of Plastic Surgery and the American Board of Surgery. While many plastic surgeons claim on their websites to be “world-renowned,” you need to look at facts, not wild claims. And you have to be careful: there are doctors who list a specific medical school on the bottom of every page of their website, but looking at the facts you can see that they did not actually graduate from that medical school! There is a lot of information on this page, but decisions about “Your Money Or Your Life” (and picking a plastic surgeon is both!) require extra care, so Dr. Nachbar has listed the facts you should know about him to help you decide. “I’m not bragging, I’m applying for a job.” In addition to this page, Dr. Nachbar’s full Curriculum Vitae, summarizing his professional experience and accomplishments, is available by clicking the button below.
Why Choose Dr. Nachbar?
The most important question you have is "Why should you choose Dr. Nachbar as your plastic surgeon?" When a patient called his office and asked that question, Dr. Nachbar wrote the "Why Dr. Nachbar" page to answer it. Read the whole "Why Dr. Nachbar" page for a special treat!
COMPASSION AND PRECISION
Dr. Nachbar is most proud of his ability to apply compassion and understanding to the scientific rigor of plastic surgery. He is personally involved in every facet of your care. He will personally conduct your consultation, and not delegate that important first visit to a staff member. He will personally see you at each and every visit, and he will personally take your all-important before-and-after photographs. Dr. Nachbar personally designed a rock-solid communications system to ensure that you can always reach him 24/7 with any questions or concerns after surgery. Unfortunately, cell phones are not always reliable, so just providing a cell phone number is not adequate.
Dr. Nachbar is very grateful to the hundreds of patients who have taken the time to review him online, and he encourages you to look at his reviews.
Dr. Nachbar on Plastic Surgery
Dr. Nachbar is recognized as an expert in Plastic Surgery, especially Plastic Surgery Education, having been appointed as a faculty member at the University of New Mexico Medical School, responsible for teaching both medical students and plastic surgery residents. Within three years of joining the University of New Mexico, he was appointed Chief of Plastic Surgery and Program Director of the Accredited Plastic Surgery Residency at the University of New Mexico, becoming one of the youngest plastic surgeons ever to be given full responsibility for a University Plastic Surgery Residency. Dr. Nachbar believes he is the only practicing plastic surgeon in Arizona who has served as the Program Director of an Accredited Plastic Surgery Residency at a University.
As an expert in plastic surgery education, Dr. Nachbar was selected by the Residency Review Committee of the ACGME (which accredits training programs in Plastic Surgery) to visit and review another University Plastic Surgery Residency program for accreditation.
Dr. Nachbar has been recognized as a "Top Doc" by Phoenix Magazine.
Dr. Nachbar helped pioneer computerized education in plastic surgery as an author of two of the first interactive training programs in plastic surgery. As a pioneer in plastic surgery education, he was awarded the coveted Distinguished Service Award by the Plastic Surgery Foundation. The PSF is the largest educational foundation in Plastic Surgery in the United States, and the Distinguished Service Award is the “Highest Honor” of the PSF. The award and its recipients are at https://www.plasticsurgery.org/for-medical-professionals/surgeon-community/award-recipients?sub=PSF+Distinguished+Service+Award.
Even as a medical student, Dr. Nachbar’s educational expertise and knowledge was acknowledged by his appointment as a Laboratory Instructor in both Anatomy and Neuroanatomy, responsible for teaching anatomy to first-year medical students. Even in college, he was appointed as a computer lab instructor.
Dr. Nachbar is a leader in medicine and surgery in Arizona. As a leader at the local level, he was elected by his peers as Vice-Chair of the Surgery Committee at HonorHealth Osborn, and he served in that position for six years from 2010-2016. He is the only plastic surgeon ever to be elected to the leadership of that hospital-wide committee.
As a leader in medicine at the state level, Dr. Nachbar was elected to the Board of Directors of the Arizona Medical Association (ArMA), and in 2019 he was elected to the Executive Committee of ArMA. Dr. Nachbar is the only plastic surgeon serving on the ArMA Executive Committee. (https://www.azmed.org/page/exec and https://perma.cc/7JZD-6WB2). Dr. Nachbar has testified on medical issues at the Arizona State Legislature and has represented the American Society of Plastic Surgeons at the Capitol in Washington, DC.
As a leader in plastic surgery at the national level, he has served on and led committees of both the American Society of Plastic Surgeons and the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, the two largest and most-prestigious organizations of plastic surgeons in America. The national plastic surgery society committees he has been appointed to and served on include Educational Technology, Device and Technique Assessment, Dermato-Plastic Surgery Task Force, Videotape Committee, Instructional Course, Teleplast, Online Communications, Emerging Trends. He was appointed as Chair to lead the Computerized Exam Committee, where he directed publication of the Computerized In-Service Exam in Plastic Surgery for four years.
Since 2017, Dr. Nachbar has been named as Chair of the Emerging Trends Committee of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, the largest society of Plastic Surgeons in America. In that role, he has been responsible for organizing and presiding over the annual Hot Topics session at Plastic Surgery The Meeting, as you can see (look at the graphic toward the right side of the page showing Dr. Nachbar as Chair) at https://www.plasticsurgerythemeeting.com/programming/hot-topics. and https://perma.cc/LV5U-FYQ3
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
After Medical School, Dr. Nachbar started his Surgery training as one of twelve interns at the University of Arizona in Tucson, and he was one of only four of those twelve interns to eventually rise to be Chief Resident in Surgery at U of A. He then went on to the University of Virginia for fellowships in microsurgery, hand surgery, and burns, and then a residency in Plastic Surgery, where he rose to be Chief Resident in Plastic Surgery as well. After his training, he joined the faculty in Plastic Surgery at the University of New Mexico, where he rose to be Chief of Plastic Surgery and Program Director of the Plastic Surgery residency, and subsequently he was awarded tenure by the University of New Mexico Medical School.
Dr. Nachbar then returned to Arizona, where he has a private practice in Plastic Surgery limited to Cosmetic Plastic Surgery.
Always interested in learning about complex systems, Dr. Nachbar became aware that he could attend law school in Phoenix without having to stop practicing plastic surgery while he was in school. This required in-person attendance in class, because online law schools are not recognized in Arizona, but he enrolled in evening classes, and within three years had graduated from law school second in his class, in December 2017. He took the Arizona Bar Exam in February 2018 and passed with a score of 335 out of 400. By comparison, only 43% of the 383 law school graduates who took that exam achieved the passing score of 273, and Dr. Nachbar’s score was within two points of the highest score of any Arizona Law School graduate on that exam.
Dr. Nachbar loves his day job as a plastic surgeon and does not see changing that anytime soon, but this additional expertise allows him to contribute at the complex interface of medicine and law. And you want a plastic surgeon with the proven ability to master complex systems. Besides, where else can the Bride-To-Be get her breast implants and her Pre-Nup under the same roof?
Dr. Nachbar is proud to be a member or a fellow of several prestigious medical associations that are working to make surgical advancements, including:
- The American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- The Plastic Surgery Foundation
- The Plastic Surgery Research Council
- The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
- The American College of Surgeons
- The Arizona Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons
- The Arizona Medical Association
- The Maricopa County Medical Society
RESEARCH AND PUBLICATIONS
Dr. Nachbar continues to contribute to education and plastic surgery. For example, at the Fall 2019 annual meeting of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons he will present two lectures to the graduating plastic surgery residents from across the country, will preside over and present at the Hot Topics session, and will give two instructional courses to plastic surgeons. Some of his presentations and publications are listed below, with more details in his CV.
Primary Investigator, Quantification of Soft Tissue Augmentation by MRI, a Directed Grant from the Plastic Surgery Education Foundation.
Primary Investigator, Research Grant for Development of Three-Dimensional Imaging and Multidimensional Analysis Capabilities in the Center of Emphasis in Biostructural Imaging Technologies awarded by the Biomedical Research Support Grant Program, Division of Research Resources, National Institutes of Health.
Primary Investigator, Research Grant for the study of the Effect of Crocetin on the Dorsal Skin Flap in the Rat, Plastic Surgery Educational Foundation.
Contributing Investigator, Support Grant for the Medical Center Computer Graphics Laboratory, from the University of Virginia Medical Center Pratt Fund Committee.
Software Written by Dr. Nachbar:
- Nachbar JM: "IMPAIR: A Program for the Evaluation of Permanent Impairment According to the AMA Guidelines." New Mexico Surgical Computing and Quartet Systems, Haydenville, MA, 1989; Version 3.0 published 1993.
- Nachbar JM: "1991 PSEF Computerized In-Service Review." Plastic Surgery Educational Foundation, Arlington Heights, IL, 1991.
- Nachbar JM: "1988 - 1991 PSEF Computerized Hand In-Service Review." Plastic Surgery Educational Foundation, Arlington Heights, IL, 1991.
- Nachbar JM: "1992 PSEF Computerized In-Service Review." Plastic Surgery Educational Foundation, Arlington Heights, IL, 1992.
- Nachbar JM: "1993 PSEF Computerized In-Service Review." Plastic Surgery Educational Foundation, Arlington Heights, IL, 1993.
- Nachbar JM: "1994 PSEF Computerized In-Service Review." Plastic Surgery Educational Foundation, Arlington Heights, IL, 1994.
- Nachbar JM: "1991 - 1994 PSEF Computerized Hand In-Service Review." Plastic Surgery Educational Foundation, Arlington Heights, IL, 1994.
- Kinney B, Finch D, Jaouen R, Neligan P, Wells M, DiBernardo B, Stone A, Bermant M, Vicari F, Rodriguez R, Nachbar J: Plastic Surgery of the Face: Volume 2: 3D Blepharoplasty, Plastic Surgery Educational Foundation, Arlington Heights, IL, 1997.
- Nachbar JM, Morgan RF: Management of facial fractures. Emerg Med Serv 16:5 12, 1987.
- Nachbar JM, Edgerton MT, Morgan RF: Microsurgery laboratory: key resource for training, research. Virginia Medical 114(12): 725, 12/1987.
- Persing JA, Nachbar JM, Vollmer DG: Tarsal tunnel syndrome due to sciatic nerve schwannoma. Ann Plast Surg 20(3): 252 255, 3/1988.
- Nachbar JM, Amiss LR, Stuart JD, Morgan RF: The effect of electrical stimulation on capillary blood flow in a sympathectomized rabbit ear model. Current Surgery 46(1): 31-33, 1-2/1989.
- Osler TM, Reddy G, Fletcher D, Demarest GB, Clevenger FW, Nachbar JM, Downey DJ, Fry DE: A computerized approach to injury description. J Trauma 30(8): 983-8, 8/1990.
- Benzel EC, Thammavaram K, Kesterson L, Nachbar JM: A new method of methylmethacrylate fixation in skull reconstruction. Plast Reconstr Surg 87(1): 153-6, 1/1991.
- Nachbar JM, Orrison WWJr:: Validation of quantification of breast implant capsule volume and surface area by magnetic resonance imaging. Ann Plast Surg 27(4):321-6, 10/1991.
- Baack BR, Osler T, Nachbar JM, Harris V: Steam Press Burns of the Hand. Ann Plast Surg 30(4):345-8, 4/1993.
- Nachbar JM: Computer imaging/surgical simulation. Plastic Surgery Educational Foundation DATA Committee. Plast Reconstr Surg 100(7): 1905-6, 12/1997.
- James Nachbar, Arizona’s Controlled Substance Prescription Monitoring Program: Practical Steps to Leverage Existing Data to Save Lives, 11 ARIZ. SUMMIT L. REV. 27-62 (2018)
- Nachbar JM, Persing JA, O'Brien MS: Congenital craniofacial malformations. In Youmans JR, ed.: Neurological Surgery, third edition, W. B. Saunders, Philadelphia, 1990.
- Nachbar JM: Postoperative parotitis. In Fry DE, ed.: Surgical Infections, Little, Brown, Boston, 1995.
- Nachbar JM, Longnecker DE, Morgan RF: The effect of lidocaine on epinephrine induced vasoconstriction. Plastic Surgery Research Council, Boston, May 22, 1987.
- Nachbar JM, Edgerton MT, Langman MW: Specific satisfying results in postoperative patients. Tenth International Symposium on Gender Dysphoria, Amsterdam, June 11 1987.
- Langman MW, Pruzinsky T, Edgerton, MT, Nachbar, JM: The Significant Other: Partners of Post Operative Transsexuals. Tenth International Symposium on Gender Dysphoria, Amsterdam, June 11 1987.
- Nachbar JM, Amiss LR, Stuart JD, Morgan RF: The effect of electrical stimulation on capillary blood flow in a sympathectomized rabbit ear model. Thirtieth Annual Residents' Meeting of the Society of University Surgeons, San Antonio, February 10, 1988.
- Persing JA, Wolcott WP, Singh V, Nachbar JM: Morphological Changes in the Craniofacial Skeleton Following Lateral Cranial Base Suture Expansion. Plastic Surgery Research Council, San Francisco, May 21, 1988.
- Osler TM, Demarest GB, Clevenger FW, Nachbar JM, Downey DJ, Fry DE: A Computerized Approach to Trauma Description. American Association for the Surgery of Trauma, Chicago, October 6, 1989.
- Osler TM, Demarest GB, Clevenger FW, Nachbar JM, Downey DJ, Fry DE: A Computerized Approach to Trauma Description (abstract). J Trauma 29(7):1035, 8/1989.
- Blome DW, Mancusi-Ungaro HRJr, Nachbar JM, Binur NS: Changing Trends in Mandibular Fractures. Chief Resident's Conference, New York, April 30, 1990.
- Nachbar JM, Morgan RF: Comparison of Computerized vs. Manual Calculation of Permanent Impairment of the Upper Extremity. 45th Annual Meeting of the American Society for Surgery of the Hand (Science and Industry Exhibit), Toronto, Ontario, September 24-26, 1990.
- Nachbar JM, Orrison WWJr: Validation of Quantification of Breast Implant Volume and Surface Area by Low Field MRI. Annual Meeting of the American Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons, Boston, October 22-25, 1990.
- Baack BR, Osler T, Nachbar JM, Harris V: Steam Press Burns of the Hand. 46th Annual Meeting of the American Society for Surgery of the Hand, Orlando, October 2-5, 1991.
- Binur N, Nachbar J, Clericuzio C: Baller Gerald Syndrome: a case report and review of the literature (poster). Chief Resident's Conference, Montreal, May 22, 1992.
- Orrison WW Jr, Rupp FW Jr, Sanders JA, Nachbar JM, Hart BL, Rael JR: 3 D Holographic Modelling of Complex Facial Fractures (Scientific Exhibit), 79th Scientific Assembly and Annual Meeting of the Radiological Society of North America (RSNA), 11/28-12/3/93, Chicago
- "New Methods in Cranio-Facial Reconstruction." Surgical Grand Rounds, Presbyterian Professional Building, Albuquerque, New Mexico, October 8, 1988.
- "Principles of Wound Healing." Ongoing lecture for the Surgical Rotation, University of New Mexico Medical School, Albuquerque, New Mexico, November 1988 -
- "The Management of Facial Trauma." Trauma Update '88, Clarion Four Seasons Hotel, Albuquerque, New Mexico, December 9, 1988.
- "The Management of Facial Trauma." UNM Department of Emergency Medicine, August 2, 1989.
- Overview of Computerization of the New Mexico Medical Foundation. New Mexico Medical Foundation Annual Meeting, September 20, 1989.
- "Wound Healing: Agents to Avoid." Surgical Grand Rounds, Presbyterian Professional Building, Albuquerque, New Mexico, January 13, 1990.
- "Skin Cancer." Ongoing lecture for the Surgical Rotation, University of New Mexico Medical School, Albuquerque, New Mexico, June 1990 -
- "Plastic Surgery Patient Information Recordings." Cityline recordings on Mammography, Breast Reduction and Breast Lift, Breast Augmentation, Breast Implants, Breast Reconstruction, Mastectomy, Cosmetic Surgery, Face Lift, Chemical Peel and Retin A, Liposuction and Body Contouring, and Rhinoplasty. University of New Mexico Patient Education Committee, January 1992.
- "The Breast Implant Controversy." Surgical Grand Rounds, University of New Mexico Medical School, Albuquerque, New Mexico, June 13, 1992.
- "What's All the Flap About: Surgical Treatment of Pressure Sores." University Hospital Nursing In-Service, Albuquerque, New Mexico, February 24, 1993.
- "What's All the Flap About: Surgical Treatment of Pressure Sores." Las Vegas Medical Center Grand Rounds, Las Vegas, New Mexico, April 8, 1993.
- "Review of Wound Healing and Wound Management." General Surgery Resident Lecture, Albuquerque, New Mexico, October 15, 1993.
- "Management of Pressure Ulcers." Surgical Grand Rounds, University of New Mexico Medical School, Albuquerque, New Mexico, October 30, 1993.
- "Tissue Expanders and Implants in Breast Reconstruction." Current Concepts in General Surgery, University of New Mexico, Hilton Hotel, Albuquerque, New Mexico, July 27, 1994.
- Van Beek AL, Bermant MA, Kinney BM, Nachbar JM, Rodriguez RL, Vicari FA, Neligan PC: “Multimedia Computerized Presentations for Education.” Instructional Course presented at the 1996 ASPRS/PSEF/ASMS Annual Meeting, Dallas, Texas, November 9, 1996.
- Van Beek, AL, Bermant MA, DiBernardo B, Finch DR, Jaouen RM, Kinney B, Nachbar JM, Neligan PC, Rodriguez R, Wells M: “Multimedia Computerized Presentations for Education” Instructional Course presented at the 1997 ASPRS/PSEF/ASMS Annual Meeting, San Francisco, California, September 20, 1997.
- “Electronic Medical Records (EMR/HER).” Hot Topics, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, Vancouver, May 3, 2012.
- “Network and Email Security and the Protection of Patient Privacy.” Hot Topics, American Society of Plastic Surgeons, New Orleans, October 26, 2012.
- “Keeping Pace as a High Tech Club.” Far West Ski Association Convention, Reno, June 8, 2013.
- “Internet Security: Keeping the Bad Guys Out.” Hot Topics, American Society of Plastic Surgeons, San Diego, October 11, 2013.
- “Update on IT for Busy Plastic Surgeons: Malware and EMR.” Hot Topics, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, San Francisco, April 25, 2014.
- “Set Up an Office Proxy Server to Limit Staff Web Surfing.” Practice Changers, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, San Francisco, April 26, 2014.
- “Plastic Surgery Practice and Data Breaches: You have more exposure than you think!” Hot Topics, American Society of Plastic Surgeons, Chicago, October 10, 2014.
- “Top Ten Great Machines: Do They or Don’t They Work?”, Hot Topics, American Society of Plastic Surgeons, Boston, October 16, 2015
- “Consumer Laws Against Physicians: Defamation, Reviews, and Other Landmines”, Hot Topics, American Society of Plastic Surgeons, Los Angeles, September 23, 2016.
Thank you for taking the time to review this information. Please let us know if you have any questions, and we look forward to meeting you!
"Amazing! I'll be scheduling my tummytuck for the end of May!"
"I searched high and low for a great Plastic Surgeon and finally I found Dr. James M. Nachbar, MD, FACS. He is the most honest, highly credentialed and most responsible and talented Doc out there. I have scheduled my appointment for my eyelids and I can't begin to describe how excited I am. I trust Dr Nachbar completely and look forward to seeing my beautiful eyes."
"I am FINALLY comfortable in my own skin! ZO Skin Health Products have definitely transformed and found the beautiful skin I knew I had, but could never find using over the counter, drug store products. Skincare evaluations with Dr. Nachbar and his staff are complimentary. I would highly recommend getting started on making your skin stronger and healthier with ZO Skin Health Products!"
"Dr. Nachbar and his entire staff are amazing! Bobbi Ashcraft"
"I had a tummy tuck 3 weeks ago and I absolutely LOVE the results. I had very little pain, due to his drainless technique and expertise! Dr Nachbar exceeded my expectations. He's so talented and I am very thankful I chose him to do my surgery. He was referred to me by someone I think very highly of who also had fabulous results. I would definitely recommend and use him again."
The End of the Pandemic!
With the start of the vaccination of front-line workers, this looks like the beginning of the end of the pandemic.Read
Breast Implants in the News: What Does It Really Mean?
Dr. Nachbar gives an update on the Allergan recall.Read
POST-OPERATIVE SCAR AND INCISION MANAGEMENT OPTIONS
Dr. Nachbar explains the things you can do to help the scars heal better and more quickly over time.Read
Welcome to Our Blog